1) Read up about Spain! It doesn’t take long to build a box of the basics that you can fill with all your new experiences when you get to Spain.
2) Research events/attractions that you don’t want to miss out on/might need to book for (Alhambra, festivals etc.).
3) Check with your phone company that your phone is activated for roaming. You will want to get a Spanish phone here but you do want your home phone to work too.
4) Make sure you have a visa and travel insurance if from outside Europe. Europeans should bring an EHIC card.
5) Leave a copy of your passport with your parents/other responsible person.
6) Tell your VISA/Mastercard card company you are going abroad.
7) Get a plastic file with sleeves and stick in:
- ISLA emergency numbers
- Any important numbers you can’t remember by heart
- Details of your homestay or flat share
- Arrival instructions
- Coach ticket
- Air ticket and boarding passes
- Photo copy of passport
- Other ID with a photo (student card, library card) - useful for when paying with a credit card
- The exchange rate in different amounts for quick reference